Please Login.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Information about the Tactics forum.

4 posters

Go down

Information about the Tactics forum. Empty Information about the Tactics forum.

Post by Drasqo Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:58 am

Hey everyone welcome to the tactics forums.
As our membercount and gameplay time keeps increasing at a drastic speed, so does the need for more organisation within the squad.
And while we are not a leaderless organisation, every member within 5th remains equal to the person next to him in every aspect, myself included.
I have a whole lot of awesome idea's spinning around in my head when it comes to gameplay enhancement.
When I say their awesome, that's merely my opinion, and that's where public forums offer a great solution for everyone to put in their 2 cents.
I would like to encourage everyone to share their idea's, promote other's or even say it when a idea is bad.
The general rule of thumb here is that you do so with constructive feedback.

Communication is key.
Drasqo
Drasqo
Admin

https://5thelement.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Information about the Tactics forum. Empty Re: Information about the Tactics forum.

Post by Flow Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 am

We have so many members right now. It's probably a good idea to split into "squads" for raiding. Won't be very efficient to have ~15 people raiding through a town.
Flow
Flow

Back to top Go down

Information about the Tactics forum. Empty Re: Information about the Tactics forum.

Post by Drasqo Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:39 pm

I guess it kinda depends on the mindset of the players, we had some pretty good runs with larger groups before.
But sometimes, it does gets confusion and disorganized.
I was just about to make a poll on this however, wether or not people want seperate squads and designated squad roles.
Check the general chat in a bit.
Drasqo
Drasqo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flow Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Yeaaah. Splitting up may have some problems of it own as well.

If the two teams meet up and they are in different channels, we might have a giant shootout.

Probably should use direct chat more often.
Flow
Flow

Back to top Go down

Post by Drasqo Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Drasqo
Drasqo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by luizsilveira Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:08 am

Flow wrote:Yeaaah. Splitting up may have some problems of it own as well.

If the two teams meet up and they are in different channels, we might have a giant shootout.

I don't see this as a problem. Actually, it's fairly simple to solve as done in many larger units: use the TS3 whispering function.

Scenario: Fire team 1 is on channel 1 on TS, Fire team 2 is on channel 2. However, BOTH fire team leaders have each other on a "whisper" keybind on TS, so they can talk to each other separately.

For example, I use "\" as a PTT button and SHIFT-\ for a whisper. If I'm, say, the leader of Fire team 2 I can use "\" to talk to all my squad and SHIFT-\ to talk ONLY to fire team 1 leader. This can go on all day and we can have perfect communication/coordination. Ideally, you could have one more person above both fire teams etc.

I'm not necessarily talking about "chain of command" but leadership is key on organization, especially on larger units.

luizsilveira

Back to top Go down

Post by Flow Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:35 am

luizsilveira wrote:
Flow wrote:Yeaaah. Splitting up may have some problems of it own as well.

I don't see this as a problem. Actually, it's fairly simple to solve as done in many larger units: use the TS3 whispering function.

Scenario: Fire team 1 is on channel 1 on TS, Fire team 2 is on channel 2. However, BOTH fire team leaders have each other on a "whisper" keybind on TS, so they can talk to each other separately.

For example, I use "\" as a PTT button and SHIFT-\ for a whisper. If I'm, say, the leader of Fire team 2 I can use "\" to talk to all my squad and SHIFT-\ to talk ONLY to fire team 1 leader. This can go on all day and we can have perfect communication/coordination. Ideally, you could have one more person above both fire teams etc.

I'm not necessarily talking about "chain of command" but leadership is key on organization, especially on larger units.

It isn't a problem anymore. Nametags have been turned on, so anyone with the [5th] tag is an ally.

Also it's a problem if you have to solve it.

Even with the whisper function, it's just too long of a lag until we figure out if the other person is a hostile or friendly.

A much better solution would be just to use direct chat. the whisper function would work for a organized large scale raid. But for a casual unorganized group play, using the whisper function would just be a hassle.

Using direct chat would be instant.

Just in case we can't get our crosshairs on the target to get their nametags. we should develop a password system. If two groups some how meet up with each other. They just say some words into direct chat and we don't shoot each other. If one of the two groups dont say the word, they get shot.

More quick and efficient than using the whisper function. Since everyone in the group can do it.
Flow
Flow

Back to top Go down

Post by Drasqo Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:16 am

Not sure I completely agree with that.
The whispering system seems to work pretty lagless for me.
Should you come into enemy contact while using squads as we intend, im pretty sure that your squad leader will know what to do.
Wether using whispering or ingame chat makes no difference here, as ingame chat has more downsides when it comes to revealing locations, not to speak about the double voicing due to the use of voice activation by many.

The nametags have been removed from the server.
I would gladly have nametags, if they indeed work as you described, putting your crosshairs on them.
However the nametag system in this game is ridiculous, as you can see players 300m away trough multiple buildings across half of town.

I understand the the disorientation and confusion about friendly locations can be frustrating, however i sincerly believe this is a matter of proper management and communication that are likely to increase once we start working as squads in game.

I was just about to make a poll where everyone can write their name on what position they want, so we can start putting this into action.

Thank you both for your input.
Drasqo
Drasqo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flow Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:42 am

Well with "lag" i meant the time it takes for the squad leader to confirm with the other group members that they are actually within range of the other group.

Example:
Group 1 has 5 members
Group 2 has 5 members

Group 1 has spotted 5 unknowns
Group 1 leader whispers group 2 leader.

Group 2 leader has to confirm with group leader 1 as well as telling his group members that the 5 unknowns are not hostiles.

If we use direct chat, it'll be a quick

group1: *password*

group2: *password*

Cause this happened once with Pickals.

We had a group of about 4 raiding around. All of a sudden Pickals comes running up a hill at us. We all get down to prone. Pickals then gets shot down.

I dont know why we didn't use direct chat. Probably could have prevented pickal's death. Pickals was actually alt tabbing out to switch to our channel.

It's these kind of spontaneous things, where i'm saying a password would be useful.

Having the whisper function for a organized raid to a high pvp area, would be perfect. Much better than the direct chat.
Flow
Flow

Back to top Go down

Post by luizsilveira Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:45 am

Wah? I had made a pretty large post and it disappeared! Well, ok, I write too much anyway silent

Anyway, please don't take me wrong or in the wrong tone on my posts. I just type fast and love writing so... before I notice some posts become short novels.

Drasqo wrote:Not sure I completely agree with that.
The whispering system seems to work pretty lagless for me.

I think what he meant is it takes a while to go through the whole thing? Player A sees another player on the server, tell his mate on TS, who tells the other team leader, who tells... and everyone is dead by now.

But this, I think, is solved by a proactive instead of a reactive culture. Know where other people and other teams are beforehand and coordinate in advance.

Drasqo wrote:
Wether using whispering or ingame chat makes no difference here, as ingame chat has more downsides when it comes to revealing locations [...]
I understand the the disorientation and confusion about friendly locations can be frustrating, however i sincerly believe this is a matter of proper management and communication that are likely to increase once we start working as squads in game.

I totally agree.

luizsilveira

Back to top Go down

Post by Flow Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:12 am

Drasqo wrote:
Wether using whispering or ingame chat makes no difference here, as ingame chat has more downsides when it comes to revealing locations [...]

I totally agree.[/quote]

I agree with this as well.

I'm going to make a thread in the General section about direct chat and confronting hostiles/unknowns with it.
Flow
Flow

Back to top Go down

Post by Meow Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:20 am

I think the direct chat password idea is a brilliant one, Im for it atleast.
Meow
Meow

Back to top Go down

Post by luizsilveira Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 am

I tried the whisper the other day it was an uber failure. So, yeah, it seems that won't work.

Another think I thought of: divide our TS channels by map areas (a bit working like an "ATC" hub). I thought we could have 5 channels for "in game", being:

1. Cherno and SW
2. Elektro and SE
3. Stary and Centre
4. Berezino and NE
5. NW airfield and NW

That way we would limit the number of people in each channel at each time, but we would be with people who are in our area as well thus limiting FF occurrences.

Safety issues with that are not that huge I guess, since right now we can't see who's online on the other channels anyway, and the TS being public anyone could potentially log on and listen to us. (what I mean is, for one to see how many people are in each region one would have to log on, thus doing the same one would need to do to listen to our conversation all the same).

Anyway, just another idea into the fan so you guys can think about it.

Edit: I still don't like the direct chat idea. More often than not I've seen people distracted or not replying to that anyway, plus it gives away our position and element of surprise against eventual threat etc. But if in spite of being pretty bad it's still the best we can have...

luizsilveira

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down